Objective & Purpose : To promote cooperation and friendship among members of the American Belgian Malinois Club and to encourage and maintain high standards in breeding, training, and competition of Malinois.
- I will appreciate the unique nature of the Belgian Malinois and will act to develop the characteristics this breed has inherited through selective breeding.
- I will be responsible and care for my dogs in a manner that promotes their vigorous mental and physical health and will strive to bring each dog to its full potential as a companion and in whatever areas are chosen.
- I will educate myself about the breed history and function, the AKC Breed Standard, health concerns, socialization and training of the Belgian Malinois. I will support and abide by the rules of the ABMC and AKC.
- I will be mindful that I and my dogs represent the breed, the ABMC and the sport of purebred dogs in general. I will maintain good sportsmanship at all events and competitions and will abide by all applicable rules and regulations. My conduct will always be in accordance with the objectives and intent of the ABMC by-laws. I will have control of my dog at all times, clean up after my dog in public places, and leave public facilities in the same condition in which they were found.
- I will be honest. I will truthfully and realistically represent my Belgian Malinois in terms of quality, health and genetic history.
- I am aware of the ABMC Breeder Code of Ethics and will carefully consider signing it if I choose to breed. I will educate myself about genetic problems, breeding, whelping, raising puppies & socialization. I will use my knowledge with the goal of producing healthy, sound, quality Belgian Malinois. I am aware of the ABMC Breeder Code of Ethics.
- I will undertake breeding with a lifelong commitment to every dog I produce, whether I am the breeder or stud dog owner.
- I will not wholesale litters, or knowingly sell to pet dealers, catalog houses, or other sources of commercial distribution. I will not donate or sell dogs for research, unless it is to study a specific breed defect by a veterinarian recognized by the ABMC. I will not engage in the overbreeding of stock for profit without regard for quality and health.
- I shall endeavor to share information or knowledge and to assist newcomers and others who exhibit a sincere interest in the Belgian Malinois breed.
- I will be a guardian of the spirit, health and well-being of the Belgian Malinois. Should I become aware of the mistreatment, abuse, or need for relocation of any Belgian Malinois, I will make every effort to be of assistance by notifying the breeder, the local authorities, American Belgian Malinois Rescue Inc., and by helping in any other way in which I am able.
By joining the American Belgian Malinois Club, I accept this code in its entirety. Any documented violation of the Code of Ethics shall be dealt with as provided in the by-laws. Each member of the ABMC has accepted the responsibility to protect the interests of the breed by conducting himself in a manner designed to reflect credit on himself, the Belgian Malinois breed and the ABMC.